As we get older, our skin begins to lose its elasticity and gets less firm. It’s completely normal! But for those who would like to slow down the process or you find your recent appearance doesn't reflect how you feel inside, take some extra measures to get back that bounce. What about trying to use facial yoga for 10-15 minutes a day? Discover a new way to workout—the face that is—and notice a change in your face shape after a few weeks. Facial yoga has become part of many japanese skin care beauty routines, and the face yoga method has also made its way to the US with celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow, Meghan Markle, and Jennifer Aniston on board.
Take and look to see how the face yoga method approaches muscle exercises stretching the face and neck. This might just by the anti-aging remedy you need.
About face yoga
The face yoga method is also known as “facial toning” and dates back thousands of years. Facial yoga follows similar guidelines to working out certain parts of the body to receive the toning, firming results you may be after. The point of facial yoga is to target what you view as problem areas and firm it up by working out the muscles in your face. By exercising the facial muscles and focusing on certain parts of the face, you can improve the look within a few weeks of practicing facial yoga methods. The best part is that with only 10-15 minutes required, you can do them most anywhere. You can do your exercises on your lunch break at work, while in the shower, or while making your meals for the week. The possibilities are endless!
Room for improvement
Here are 5 common issues people have with their faces as they age, and the corresponding exercises to help out.
- Chin and jawline
- Eye area
To help improve your chin and jawline area to prevent sagging, double-chin, and other unpleasant side effects of aging, try the following exercises.
- Place your tongue at the roof of your mouth and open and close slowly to help strengthen those muscles along the neck and jawline. Breathe slowly and repeat as necessary.
- Make a solid “fish face” while attempting to smile. This works the cheek and jaw muscles.
Many people have issues with forehead wrinkles and deeply set lines on the forehead. This exercise can help.
- Form the letter ‘C’ with your thumb and index finger. Place your index fingers just about your brows and your thumbs resting on your cheeks. Open your eyes wide and look up. Hold this position for 10 seconds and repeat.
For those who desire to reduce the rounder look of their face, try this approach may be what you need.
- Pretend to use mouthwash with just air by sucking in air and swishing back and forth for 5-10 seconds. This method can help make cheek muscles more toned and reduce the look of a double chin.
Take these steps to help keep eyes sharp, and get rid of the look of droopy eyes and eye bags.
- Look straight ahead and relax. Breathe deeply and begin to shift your eyes from center, to left, center, right, and back to center. Use this same combo by looking up, center, down, and back to center. Keep your body in place.
- Use your fingers to gently pull back certain pressure points to massage the skin and encourage firmness. For example, take two fingers and line up the index finger next to your eye and the middle finger just underneath it. Gently stretch the area in between for a few seconds and rest.
- To achieve a more lifted brow look, try using your index, middle, and ring fingertips just above both eyebrows. Lightly lift and stretch the area in between your brows for a few seconds and rest.
This easy exercise can assist in plumping up the lips and strengthening the neck.
- Align yourself by standing up and looking straight ahead. Look up and attempt to kiss the space above you 10-15 times.
Benefits and other ways to help
Some of the main benefits of facial exercises are the firming factors that you get from working out those muscles and maintaining a facial exercise routine in the future. In addition to these techniques, you can also give the appearance of younger looking skin by drinking water throughout the day and staying away from harmful habits like smoking, and eating foods heavy in fat and salt. For more intense facial therapy, we offer a number of surgical facial procedures, and skin treatments like BOTOX®, Juvederm®, and Perlane to keep your face looking fresh and young.
At Eisemann Plastic Surgery Center, we are happy to provide skincare and body treatments for those who need a little extra boost. We strive to be your go-to when looking for skin treatments in Houston, and deliver cosmetic services based off of you and your needs.